Saturday 6 December 2008

Chelsea Urges To Get A New Striker !

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has insisted the Blues must sign a striker when the transfer window reopens in January.

Scolari: Chelsea Must Sign A Striker

According to The Guardian, the Brazilian has bemoaned his lack of forwards in recent games and has admitted he will face Bolton Wanderers today with only one fit striker. He said: “For the game against Arsenal I lost two strikers in Franco di Santo and Didier Drogba, so I had only Anelka. This is the same for the Bolton game.”

The West Londoners have struggled to break teams down in recent weeks and their manager insisted more options up front would help his side in this respect. The Brazilian explained: “If I had one more striker, I'd have more options to change our gameplan sometimes. We could play two up front, or at least try something different.”

Yet Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has already reportedly claimed the Blues will not sign any players in the transfer window, but Scolari pointed to the injuries suffered at Stamford Bridge this season as reason to splash the cash.

“I knew that it's a different time for Chelsea but, if we suffer more injuries, the board understand that I'll need one or two players to replace some [injured] players,” revealed the Blues’ boss, "They understand this. If, on the other hand, the players are in good condition and there are no more injuries, I think it's maximum one player they'll replace because we need one more. Only one. A striker.”

Scolari also highlighted the injury situation at Stamford Bridge and in particular, the loss of Michael Essien. He said: “Back in the summer when I came to Chelsea I didn't want more players than I had in my squad. But I never thought I'd get the number of injuries we've suffered. We've lost two or three virtually every week. If I'd lost a goalkeeper, or a full-back, it wouldn't be so much of a problem because I have four others to use as replacements. But I lost a player in Michael Essien who can play in five positions, so he is like losing five players.”

Chelsea travel to Bolton Wanderers today hoping to maintain their unbeaten run away from home this season and notch up a club record 11th consecutive away win in the Premier League.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

Post a Comment

Template by : kendhin x-template.blogspot.com